The 2018 ELP session will take place from March 20 – 24, 2018 at the City University of New York (CUNY) in New York City.
AAJA's Executive Leadership Program (ELP) is dedicated to developing the next generation of journalists who can lead in uncertain times and build a sustainable future for journalism. In today’s changing media landscape, it is vital that leaders are equipped for addressing the responsibilities and challenges of serving our increasingly diverse and cross-cultural world.
The program has an impressive 20+ year track record, committed to journalistic excellence and leadership training. ELP provides targeted professional development to diverse, high-potential, ambitious, and community-minded professionals. The program delivers more strategic, agile, confident, and diversity conscious leaders.
ELP has trained more than 500 media professionals to-date. Successfully fostering a pipeline of savvy industry leaders (many at major media companies) and providing graduates with access to a robust, life-long, and supportive alumni network.
Additionally, ELP offers continuing learning opportunities year-round (online and in-person), including: alumni programming, mentorship, workshops, and networking events.
ABOUT ELP SEMINAR
ELP Seminar is designed to deliver high-impact in five intensive days, in a small group setting. Professional career coaches and industry executives facilitate the program’s robust curriculum. Key program benefits include:
- 4.5-day intensive training
- Connecting with industry peers and leaders
- Career coaching and mentorship: 1-on-1 pairing with a senior news leader at a major media company.
The trainings are highly-interactive and have participants engaged in timely discussions, such as:
- How do leadership styles across various cultures affect our work?
- Deconstructing corporate culture to inform paths to success and overcoming barriers.
- In what ways does my background and passion impact my work?
- How does digital media impact the industry and what is my role in it?
- How can I meaningfully contribute to the industry and my community?
- What lessons can be learned from established and emerging media markets?
Specifically, participants explore perspectives and gain concrete approaches on:
- Diversity and culture in the workplace
- Leadership skills, styles, and opportunities
- Power, politics, and influence
- Professional and career goal setting
- Personal branding and confidence
- Negotiation tactics and applications
Individuals with at least four to seven years of experience are encouraged to apply. Space is limited and applications are reviewed on a rotating basis until filled.
The 2018 ELP Session will be held at the City University of New York (CUNY) in New York City from March 20 – 24, 2018. Participants are responsible for their own transportation to and from CUNY, as well as for their hotel accommodations.
TUITION AND PAYMENT
Tuition for ELP is $1,250 for AAJA members and $1,500 for non-members. It includes the costs of instructional materials, breakfast, lunch, and some evening group dinners.
Applicants accepted to ELP must provide a $300 deposit by March 5, 2018, and full payment must be received by March 16, 2018. Applicants who cancel their registration after March 5 will not receive a refund.
Those in need of financial assistance may apply for the Dinah Eng Leadership Fellowship by January 28, 2018
HOW TO APPLY
You must be a professional journalist to apply for the program.
Click here for the application and fill it out completely.
Applications are due by February 25, 2018. Please note that space is very limited.
Attach the following documents to the form:
• A résumé or link to your LinkedIn profile
• A professional, color, high-resolution photo
• A letter of recommendation from a supervisor (OPTIONAL)
• A short 40-word biography
• A 250-word statement explaining what you hope to learn from this program and how it will help your career
ELP is sponsored by
Contact Daniel Garcia at the AAJA national office with any questions.
Learn more about last year’s program and the cohort here!