AAJA is guided by its Governing Board, with the counsel of its Advisory Board.
The 11-member Governing Board is comprised of AAJA’s five National Officers plus six members elected from the Advisory Board.
The Governing Board guides the organization to ensure AAJA is fulfilling its mission, meeting the needs of its constituencies and operating legally, effectively and efficiently.
- President: PAUL CHEUNG, Director of Interactive & Digital News Production, Associated Press
- Vice President for Broadcast: NIALA BOODHOO, Broadcast Journalist
- Vice President for Print: YVONNE LEOW, Knight Journalism Fellow, Stanford University
- Treasurer: SHAWN NICOLE WONG, Project Manager, JWA Urban Consultants, IC. + JWA Roam
- Secretary: MICHELLE LEE, Reporter, “The Fact Checker,” The Washington Post
- Small Chapter Representative: THOMAS HUANG, Sunday & Enterprise Editor, The Dallas Morning News and Texas Chapter Board Representative
- Medium Chapter Representative: NICOLE DUNGCA, Transportation Reporter, The Boston Globe
- Large Chapter Representative: JOCELYN “JOZ” WANG, Editor-in-Chief & CEO, 8Asians.com and Metblogs.com and Los Angeles Chapter Board Representative
- At-Large Chapter Representative: BROOKE CAMP, Sr. Talent Acquisition Partner, The Coca-Cola Company and New York Chapter Board Representative
- At-Large Chapter Representative: ABE KWOK, Online News Editor, The Arizona Republic/azcentral.com and Arizona Chapter Board Representative
- At-Large Chapter Representative: DENISE POON, Media Consultant, Producer, Creative Streamline and Los Angeles Chapter Board Representative
The Advisory Board is comprised of Chapter Board Representatives elected by their chapter’s members. The advisory board advises the governing board to ensure AAJA chapters’ interests are represented in the organization, and AAJA’s interests in the chapters.
Both the Governing and Advisory boards also build connections between AAJA, the news industry, the Asian American Pacific Islander community and the general public.
- Arizona: ABE KWOK, Online News Editor, The Arizona Republic/azcentral.com
- Asia: K. OANH HA, Vietnam Bureau Chief, Bloomberg News, and BLESSING WAUNG, Managing Editor, American Chamber of Commerce Hong Kong
- Atlanta: JACQUELINE GULLEDGE, Cross Platform Associate Producer, CNN
- Chicago: LORENE YUE, Freelance Reporter
- Denver: GIL ASAKAWA, Manager of Student Media, College of Media, Communication & Information, University of Colorado
- Florida: MARIAN LIU, Editor, SouthFlorida.com/Sun Sentinel
- Hawai’i: WES NAKAMA, Assistant Director of Information, Hawai’i High School Athletic Association
- Los Angeles: JOCELYN “JOZ” WANG, Editor-in-Chief & CEO, 8Asians.com and Metblogs.com, and DENISE POON, Media Consultant, Producer, Creative Streamline
- Michigan: ANJANA SCHROEDER, Producer, 6 News at 5 WLNS
- Minnesota: NANCY YANG, Digital Producer, Minnesota Public Radio News
- New England: HANAH FADRIGALAN, Promotions Coordinator, WHDH TV – NBC Boston
- New York: BAO ONG, Food and Travel Writer, and BROOKE CAMP, Sr. Talent Acquisition Partner, The Coca-Cola Company
- North Carolina: FRANK VINLUAN, Freelance Business Reporter
- Philadelphia: DAVID LIMM, Online Editor, Philadelphia Public School Notebook
- Portland: PETER WONG, Salem Bureau Reporter, The Portland Tribune/Pamplin Media Group
- Sacramento: PAMELA WU, Director of Marketing and Communications, University of California, Davis School of Law
- San Diego: JANE LEE, Multimedia Journalist, CW 6
- San Francisco Bay Area: KEVIN LEE, Staff Writer, Daily Journal Corp
- Seattle: VENICE BUHAIN, Editor, The Seattle Globalist
- Texas: THOMAS HUANG, Sunday & Enterprise Editor, The Dallas Morning News
- Washington, D.C: SCOTT B. WONG, Senior Staff Writer, The Hill
UNITY Board Representatives