AAJA is guided by its Governing Board, with the counsel of its Advisory Board.
The 11-member Governing Board is comprised of AAJA’s five National Officers plus six members elected from the Advisory Board.
The Governing Board guides the organization to ensure AAJA is fulfilling its mission, meeting the needs of its constituencies and operating legally, effectively and efficiently.
- President: PAUL CHEUNG, Global Interactive Editor, Associated Press
- Vice President for Broadcast: NIALA BOODHOO, Reporter, WBEZ, 91.5, Chicago Public Media
- Vice President for Print: YVONNE LEOW, Video Editor, Digital First Media
- Treasurer: GAUTHAM NAGESH, Reporter, The Wall Street Journal
- Secretary: MICHELLE LEE, Reporter, The Arizona Republic
- Small Chapter Representative: THOMAS HUANG, Sunday & Enterprise Editor, The Dallas Morning News and Texas Chapter Board Representative
- Medium Chapter Representative: NICOLE DUNGCA, Reporter, The Oregonian and Portland Chapter Board Representative
- Large Chapter Representative: JOCELYN “JOZ” WANG, Editor-in-Chief & CEO, 8Asians.com and Metblogs.com and Los Angeles Chapter Board Representative
- At-Large Chapter Representative: BROOKE CAMP, Talent Acquisition Lead, News and Digital, NBCUniversal and New York Chapter Board Representative
- At-Large Chapter Representative: ABE KWOK, Online News Editor, The Arizona Republic/azcentral.com and Arizona Chapter Board Representative
- At-Large Chapter Representative: DENISE POON, Media Consultant, Producer, Creative Streamline and Los Angeles Chapter Board Representative
The Advisory Board is comprised of Chapter Board Representatives elected by their chapter’s members. The advisory board advises the governing board to ensure AAJA chapters’ interests are represented in the organization, and AAJA’s interests in the chapters.
Both the Governing and Advisory boards also build connections between AAJA, the news industry, the Asian American Pacific Islander community and the general public.
- Arizona: ABE KWOK, Online News Editor, The Arizona Republic/azcentral.com
- Asia: RAMY INOCENCIO, Asia Business Analyst, CNN International, and K. OANH HA, Vietnam Bureau Chief, Bloomberg News
- Atlanta: BJANCA PRUDHOMME, Supervisor, News Group Business Administration, CNN
- Chicago: LORENE YUE, Reporter, Crain’s Chicago Business
- Denver: HASSAN SHAH, Freelance Journalist
- Florida: MARIAN LIU, Editor, SouthFlorida.com/Sun Sentinel
- Hawai’i: WES NAKAMA, Assistant Director of Information, Hawai’i High School Athletic Association
- Los Angeles: JOCELYN “JOZ” WANG, Editor-in-Chief & CEO, 8Asians.com and Metblogs.com, and DENISE POON, Media Consultant, Producer, Creative Streamline
- Michigan: CAROLYN CHIN WATSON, Designer, The Detroit News
- Minnesota: NANCY YANG, National News Editor, Internet Broadcasting
- New England: HANAH FADRIGALAN, Administrative Assistant, New England Cable News
- New York: BAO ONG, Food and Travel Writer, and BROOKE CAMP, Talent Acquisition Lead, News and Digital, NBCUniversal,
- North Carolina: FRANK VINLUAN, Freelance Business Reporter
- Philadelphia: JULIANA REYES, Lead Reporter, Technically Philly
- Portland: NICOLE DUNGCA, Reporter, The Oregonian
- Sacramento: PAMELA WU, Director of Marketing and Communications, University of California, Davis School of Law
- San Diego: MELISSA MECIJA, Reporter, KGTV 10News
- San Francisco Bay Area: KEVIN LEE, Staff Writer, Daily Journal Corp
- Seattle: SANJAY BHATT, Reporter, The Seattle Times
- Texas: THOMAS HUANG, Sunday & Enterprise Editor, The Dallas Morning News
- Washington, D.C: SCOTT B. WONG, Reporter, Politico