The Asian American Journalists Association is honored to have the opportunity since 2003 to recognize excellence in Asian American Pacific Islander civil rights and social justice coverage with the Dr. Suzanne Ahn Award for Civil Rights and Social Justice.
Suzanne Ahn, M.D., was a Korean American who was raised in Arkansas and Texas. Dr. Ahn rose to become a successful physician, neurologist and inventor. Although she achieved a position of wealth and privilege, Dr. Ahn devoted her life to promoting civil rights and social justice for all Americans, especially women and Asian Americans.
AWARD PRIZE: $5,000 and an award plaque.
- Any journalist is eligible for this award.
- The selection committee reserves the right to present the award to a non-journalist if that person best exemplifies the intent of the award.
- To be eligible for the 2013 award, the work must have been published at any time in newspapers, news services, on web sites, magazines or books, or aired on radio or television.
- Book entries and documentaries must also include a synopsis of the work, explaining how it specifically impacts social justice or civil rights in the AAPI community.
- Submissions in other languages must come with an English translation.
- The entry fee is waived for current 2013 AAJA members.
- Non-members must enclose a non-refundable fee of $25 per entry.
- Entries are considered incomplete without applicable payment if applicable.
JUDGING & AWARDS:
The selection committee is determined by Dr. Ahn’s family. The winner and his or her nominator will be notified in advance of the convention. This award will be presented on August 24, 2013, at the AAJA Gala Scholarship & Awards Banquet during the AAJA National Convention in New York.
Learn more about the 2013 Dr. Suzanne Ahn Award for Civil Rights and Social Justice by logging in to AAJA’s account system.
Don’t have an account? Create one.
Once logged into your account:
- Click on “View open competitions” under “Awards and Competitions”
- Click on “View” next to the 2013 Dr. Suzanne Ahn Award for Civil Rights and Social Justice
- Fill in and upload the required information for the entry form
Deadline: Friday, March 22 Deadline has passed
Questions? Contact the AAJA National Office.