Membership types and costs
As a nonprofit organization of more than 1,500 members throughout the U.S and in Asia, AAJA strives to provide a means of association and support among Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) journalists; provide encouragement, information, advice and scholarship assistance to AAPI students who aspire to professional journalism careers; provide to the AAPI community an awareness of news media and an understanding of how to gain fair access; and, research and point out when news media organizations stray from accuracy and fairness in the coverage of AAPIs.
FULL MEMBERSHIP: $65
Available to those who receive a majority of their income from or spend the majority of their work time involved in journalistic work — including freelance work — for newspapers, magazines, wire services, radio stations or networks, television stations or networks, cable outlets, news-oriented public affairs departments, online-related divisions of a news-oriented organization, online-only news organizations, other bonafide news organizations or educational institutions.
Accepted journalistic work includes reporting, writing, editing, photography, anchoring, producing, directing, research, design, teaching journalism and other functions that have direct impact on the gathering or presentation of the news. The membership status for those who work for non-news media online companies may be reviewed by the membership committee.
Full membership is also available to those who have left journalism, but who were AAJA members and journalists (as defined above) for 5 or more consecutive years.
Full membership is also available to journalists who are currently between jobs, including those who are freelancing. (Those who were already full members would continue in that status.) These temporarily unemployed journalists will be eligible for reduced dues for the first two years they are unemployed.
Full membership is also available to executives involved in the hiring of journalists and to artists and technicians involved in the news gathering process. Full members are eligible to vote and hold office.
ASSOCIATE MEMBERSHIP: $65
Available to former journalists, public or community affairs representatives of bonafide news companies, and non-journalists who have particular expertise or services they can offer AAJA. Associate Members are NOT eligible to vote and CANNOT hold office except for the position of Treasurer.
RETIRED MEMBERSHIP: $25
Available to persons age 62 and over who have previously worked full time or part time as a journalist. Retired Members are NOT eligible to vote and CANNOT hold office except for the position of Treasurer.
STUDENT MEMBERSHIP: $25
(Copy of most current student ID required.) Available to enrolled high school, undergraduate, or graduate students who intend to pursue a career in journalism. Recent graduates who have yet to obtain their first job may also become Student Members. Once they get their first job, they must become Full or Associate Members. Student Members are eligible to vote but cannot hold office. They may participate on committees and attend meetings.
GOLD MEMBERSHIP: $100*
- Gold (Full): Requirements same as Full Membership.
- Gold (Associate): Requirements same as Associate Membership.
PLATINUM MEMBERSHIP: $750*
- Platinum (Full): Requirements same as Full Membership.
- Platinum (Associate): Requirements same as Associate Membership.
* Tax deductible less $65 toward basic member dues and value of convention registration.
Listen to BlogTalkRadio Show Maximizing Your AAJA Membership
- AP Stylebook Online subscriptions are 12 months for the price of 10.
- Access to local and national networking opportunities with professional journalists, new media executives, students and supporters.
- Acquire new skills in a constantly changing field through local chapters or at AAJA conventions.
- Excellent means of support for common issues faced by APIs working in the news media.
- First to know about career listings, national programs, convention and other news via biweekly AAJA Online newsletter.
- Eligibility to apply for fellowships, mentorships and other professional programs offered by AAJA.
- Entry fee waived for AAJA National Journalism Awards competition.
- Discounted registration fee for the AAJA National and UNITY Conventions.
- Listing on online membership roster.
- Recognition of special achievement or career transitions in Member News on AAJA’s web site.
- Free access to upload your resume
- Search jobs and apply for jobs directly through AAJA’s online Career Center.
- Free 30-minute phone consultation with AAJA’s legal counsel.
- Purchase an AARP membership through AAJA and you’ll enjoy access to a wealth of benefits designed to help everyone age 50+. For each membership purchased, AARP supports the Asian American Journalists Association with a payment of up to $50. Memberships offered include Lifetime Membership and 1-/3-/5- year terms at a special discounted rate. Under age 50? Give the gift of AARP membership to a loved one. Enter your loved one’s information (name, address and birth date) on the registration page. Download AARP’s flier.
- Save up to 32% on UPS shipping. Save time and money through special services and shipping discounts.
- Discount on on-site courses at Poynter (Promotion code: AAJA201220).
- Opportunity to save time and money on the online products and services you use most while also supporting your favorite non-profit organization, AAJA!
Other member benefits and discounts may be added by AAJA. Benefits are subject to change.
Additional Benefits to GOLD Members:
- Acknowledgment in the AAJA annual report and expedited convention registration.
- On-site perks at convention.
Additional Benefits to PLATINUM Members:
- In addition to Full benefits and Gold benefits, Platinum members receive acknowledgment in the AAJA annual report, receive complimentary and expedited convention registration, VIP seating at AAJA Gala, and an invitation to President’s Reception and other special events.
Membership is based on the calendar year: January to December, regardless of when dues are received. Allow 2-4 weeks for processing.
Membership in AAJA: Is acknowledgment of AAJA’s mission to provide a means of association and support among Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) journalists; provide encouragement, information, advice and scholarship assistance to AAPI students who aspire to professional journalism careers; provide to the AAPI community an awareness of news media and an understanding of how to gain fair access; and, research and point out when news media organizations stray from accuracy and fairness in the coverage of AAPIs.
Ready to join? Click here.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
Contact the AAJA National Office:
- Phone: 415-346-2051, ext. 105
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: www.aaja.org