Asian American Journalists Association (AAJA) is a membership nonprofit advancing diversity in newsrooms, and ensuring fair and accurate coverage of communities of color. AAJA is a national organization with members and chapters nation-wide plus an Asia chapter.
AAJA seeks a Director of Programs and Partnerships to lead the planning and execution of current and future programs to best meet AAJA’s mission. As a key member of a small and growing AAJA team, this position will report to the Executive Director, and collaborate with key board leadership and member stakeholders to develop the organization’s overall programming mission.
Reports to: Executive Director
Location: Open to remote. Washington D.C. or major metropolitan area strongly preferred.
Travel: Up to 20% travel expected.
Candidate should possess a deep commitment to the advancement of AAPI communities in diversity, equity, and inclusion dialogues overall.
We are looking for a creative self-starter, strong executor, natural leader, and collaborative team player with a positive attitude. The ideal candidate possesses a working knowledge of the journalism industry and can apply it to programmatic strategy and operational execution. S/he will direct and manage all areas of programming and events, such as planning and development, grant writing and reporting, logistics, materials, as well as work with ED and staff to ensure high quality and strategically aligned programs and activities.
The candidate will have the capability to handle competing priorities in a growing organization by effectively leveraging resources to meet deadlines for numerous projects. They will also practice equal parts integrity and adaptability to address a rapidly evolving journalism industry, while embracing creative and innovative ways and seeking strategic partnerships to grow the organization and support our members.
Program Development & Implementation
- Oversee overall strategy, planning, execution, and reporting of AAJA programs (including events and activities).
- Work closely with program leads and staff, leading on logistics, advance, site selection, and scheduling, and supporting appointed program lead on content and curriculum needs.
- Work closely with Executive Director and relevant national board officers to implement processes for participant feedback, impact metrics, and evaluation tools to ensure that program and curricula stays effective and current with major industry developments and trends as relevant to each program.
- Be responsible for the planning and implementation of AAJA’s journalism and leadership development programs, including but not limited to: JCamp, Voices, Mentor Match, the Executive Leadership Program (ELP), and Catalyst.
- Develop criteria and operating procedures and workflows for all facets of implementation of programs, e.g. partnerships outreach, communications, and engagement.
Program Outcomes and Evaluation
- Develop and manage a multi-year rolling program plan to help meet longer term strategies and goals.
- Create and implement program development and program-specific fund development strategies, outreach strategies, budgets, and operational plans.
- Lead program evaluation systems and metrics to improve organization’s capacity to learn from its work and share that learning with stakeholders.
- Work closely with the Executive Director and Accountant to develop the annual program budgets and ensure programs adhere to approved budget.
Fundraising and Development
- Oversee program grants strategy including: positioning ideas, review, approve, and report on grants, and ensure they are aligned with overall program and agency strategy.
- Organize agenda and execution, as part of a team, all relevant convenings with relevant board committees, board members, and member stakeholders to review plans and engage them in activities and meeting organizational goals.
- Proactively works with Executive Director and Governing Board to maintain relationships with current funders and cultivate new/potential sources of funding (i.e. grant reports and updates on program success, impact, and milestones).
Outreach and Engagement
- Assist in the development of annual reports for AAJA.
- Works with Executive Director and relevant national officers to develop and implement a strategic outreach plan, prioritizing AAPI and minority students.
- Assists and contributes to post-graduate and alumni engagement plans to ensure meaningful engagement and membership recruitment and retention (as guided by VP of Communications and in collaboration with relevant staff with communications and member engagement responsibilities).
Communications and Partnerships
- Support communications functions in developing a communications plan around programs with goals of targeted and strategic outreach, member retention and cultivation, and development goals, including but not limited to foundation, corporate, and individual donor cultivation.
- Conduct outreach to and maintain relationships with potential and existing partner organizations to develop targeted and engaging programming.
- In tandem with fellow AAJA staff, cultivate strategic partnerships and initiatives to further AAJA’s mission and programmatic goals.
- Support communications efforts by writing, editing, assigning and contributing to promotional pieces, blogs, and policy papers.
- Work with Executive Director to identify and explore collaborations and partnerships with other journalism organizations; media sponsors; and nonprofits as they could relate to programmatic needs and opportunities.
Professional Qualifications and Expectations
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communication, nonprofit management or a related field required.
- A minimum of 4-6 years of experience that includes the following: journalism, program management, fund development, membership management and cultivation, and event planning -- DEI context a plus.
- Commitment to AAJA’s mission and strategic goals.
- Familiarity with journalism and media industry preferred (work experience, historical trends, forecasts, and diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts).
- Familiarity with Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) issues preferred.
- Possess excellent judgment, professionalism, interpersonal skills.
- Inclusive and collaborative leadership, leading by example across teams.
- Strong writing skills, technically and stylistically. Can communicate complex concepts and narratives clearly and concisely for multiple platforms/audiences.
- Ability to establish and maintain positive, collaborative working relationships with diverse stakeholders (i.e. supervisors, colleagues, board of directors, members).
- Ability to develop and executive innovative ideas.
- Strong organizational planning and training skills, including the ability to document and manage multiple workflows in a complex organizational system.
- Social media strategy, website, database management experience preferred.
- Works well under pressure and handles stress with grace.
- Accepts and acts well on performance-based feedback and direction.
- Available to work a flexible schedule that will intermittently include long hours, nights, and weekends.
- Available to travel periodically.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Job Type: Full-time
Apply at bit.ly/AAJADirProg.