A normal day on the desk involves
* Listening to police and fire scanners for breaking news
* Contacting Public Information Officers to confirm information
* Dispatching reporters, photographers and helicopter out to scenes
* Responding to viewer calls, emails and Facebook messages
* Searching (and pitching) news stories
* Arranging guests and setting up interviews
* Writing content for the web
* Researching information for newscasts
* Staying on top of city and county meetings for highlights relevant to our viewers
* Scouring social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat) for clickable content for our Real Time newsroom.
The ideal candidate also would be equal parts 1) a relentless digger for news and information in the nerve center of the newsroom, and 2) a compassionate and calm voice at the receiving end of the phone when viewers reach out to us in unimaginable situations.
* Receives assignment or evaluates news leads and news tips to develop story ideas.
* Gathers and verifies facts regarding stories through interview, observation, and research.
* Organizes material, determines slant or emphasis, and writes story according to prescribed editorial style and format standards.
* May be asked to shoot video and still photos for various platforms.
* Edits, or assists in editing, videos for all multimedia platforms.
* Assist news producer in preparing newscast.
* Assist online staff in preparing for multimedia stories.
Education & Experience
* Bachelor's degree in broadcast journalism or related degree
* Previous newsroom experience required, previous assignment desk experience preferred
Skills & Abilities
* Computer literacy required, including newsroom computer systems.
* Knowledge and experience on social media.
* Videography and non-linear editing experience preferred.
* Edit video on Final Cut Pro editing systems, or similar equipment would be helpful.
* Strong broadcast and AP style writing skills.
* Proficient at posting content to various websites.
* Self-motivated and able to work in a fast-paced deadline-driven environment.
* Valid Driver's License, good driving record and provide certificate of insurability with company required insurance limits.
* Must be able to lift 40 pounds.
* Available to work a variety of shifts -- days, nights, weekends, holidays
* In the event of a local hurricane, stay at the station with the rest of the staff to help support the news organization.