The deadline for the 2019 Lifetime Achievement Awards has been extended to April 8.
AAJA is proud to announce the call for entries and nominations for the 2019 National Journalism Awards and the 2019 AAJA Lifetime Achievement Award. Award winners will be announced at the 2019 AAJA National Convention in Atlanta. All submissions must be made online by March 17; see the red links below.
The 2019 categories are listed below. If your piece deals with members of the Asian American Pacific Islander (AAPI) community, you may submit it under the AAPI Issues category. Otherwise, you may submit it under the General Excellence category. To submit an entry, click on the appropriate category link:
The deadline to submit entries has passed.
|General Excellence:||Asian American Pacific Islander (AAPI) Issues:|
Eligibility Requirements: Please see each individual category’s submission form for complete requirements. You may also view general requirements on the National Journalism Awards FAQs page.
***Please note that each entry may only be submitted to ONE award category.***
- Entry fee is waived for current 2019 AAJA members. Renew your membership for 2019.
- Non-members must pay a non-refundable fee of $100 per entry via credit card.
- The fee is based on the membership status of entrant (please note: membership is subject to verification).
- Entry is considered incomplete and ineligible without payment, if applicable.
- Entries are judged based on the quality of work submitted, regardless of circulation or market size.
- Judges are professional journalists and change annually.
- Judges reserve the right to withhold awards if they believe entries are not of winning quality.
- Winners will be notified in advance of the convention.
- Entrant need not be present to win.
- For joint or team entries, all names submitted will be listed on the award.
Deadline: The submission deadline is Sunday, March 17 at 11:59 PM PST.
Nominate an individual who has demonstrated courage and commitment to the principles of journalism over the course of a life’s work, as well as dedication to issues important to the Asian American and Pacific Islander community. Candidates do not need to be AAJA members, and there is no entry fee. Nominate someone today!
Award Prize: An award plaque
Deadline: EXTENDED TO MONDAY, APRIL 8, 2019
2018 Recipient Yasutsune Hirashiki, Retired Cameraman, ABC News
The Dr. Suzanne Ahn Award for Civil Rights & Social Justice for Asian American & Pacific Islanders was established in 2003 by the Asian American Journalists Association to recognize excellence in coverage of civil rights of Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders and/or issues of social justice for Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders. Nominate someone today!
Award Prize: $5,000 and an award plaque.
Eligibility Requirements: See the submission form for complete requirements. A $25 non-refundable entry fee is due upon submission for non-AAJA members.
Deadline: Sunday, March 17, 2019
2017 Dr. Ahn Award Recipient, Vanessa Hua