The Now is a fast-moving locally produced program that covers news trending on social media and invites the audience to join the conversation across traditional and digital media platforms. The hourlong program features a mix of local, national and international news as well as viral stories, videos, entertainment and lifestyle stories and airs on all Scripps stations across the country.
The Digital Content Producer organizes, writes scripts and updates content on digital platforms with a primary focus on local websites, mobile apps, and social media platforms. Responsible for creating compelling content that is aligned with and enhances the station's and/or Scripps brand.
* Writes and edits content including headlines, short news alerts and teases, enhancing content with outside links, maps, slideshows.
* Publishes and manages content on multiple digital platforms, including the station's local website, mobile and social networks using current production and web-delivery tools.
* Produces digital video when assigned.
* Assist in online coverage of major news event, breaking news and severe weather to ensure high quality consistent community coverage online.
* Build out special sections and site features to enhance coverage and increase user engagement.
* Updates and interacts with fans/followers on social media.
* Anchor/host content for digital platforms as assigned.
* Coordinate with editorial and technical staff to facilitate the migration of multimedia content to new media platforms, including video, audio, still photos and graphics.
* Work with other departments, including sales and marketing, as needed on site and/or station initiatives that require content integration.
* Optimizes the user experience by tracking live web metrics and user experience best practices.
* Applies SEO best practices to every piece of content.
Education & Experience
* BS/BA in related discipline or commensurate experience.
* Generally 2-5 years of experience in related field.
* Experience with Content Management Systems, HTML, Audio Editing, Image Editing, CSS and Social Networking preferred.
Skills & Abilities
* Must have a strong desire to focus on web-based content.
* Must have basic HTML formatting skills and knowledge of how to FTP/publish web content.
* Must be creative, have good people skills and be able to handle deadline pressure and need to multi-task.
* Must have strong newspaper-style writing, editing and headline skills.
* Must have knowledge and experience with still-image photography using digital cameras/hand held video cameras.
* Must have working knowledge of how to use and update social media platforms.
* Must have photo editing skills with ability to manipulate, crop, enhance images as needed for publishing on website.
* Basic video editing skills a plus.
The E.W. Scripps Company (NYSE: SSP) serves audiences and businesses through a growing portfolio of television, radio and digital media brands. With 33 television stations, Scripps is one of the nation's largest independent TV station owners. Scripps runs an expanding collection of local and national journalism and content businesses, including Newsy, the next-generation national news network; podcast industry leader Midroll Media; and fast-growing national broadcast networks Bounce, Grit, Escape and Laff. Scripps produces original programming including "Pickler & Ben," runs an award-winning investigative reporting newsroom in Washington, D.C., and is the longtime steward of the Scripps National Spelling Bee. Founded in 1878, Scripps has held for decades to the motto, "Give light and the people will find their own way."