The director, who will hold the faculty rank of professor of practice, will work with a team of students to analyze clients’ audiences; create ongoing engagement strategies and campaigns; create social, SEO/SEM, site and video content to support those campaigns; and immerse daily in analytics to optimize strategic approaches. Because the Lab serves as a test bed for innovation in audience engagement, the director will lead creative, innovative and measurable experimentation across digital platforms. The director will use a hands-on approach to teach not only analytics, content/campaign management and technical tools, but also client relations, project management and presentation skills.
The Digital Audiences Lab is one of more than a dozen immersive professional experiences at the Cronkite School that reflect the school’s “teaching hospital” approach to journalism education. Students engage at least two full days a week in programs that include a nightly television newscast broadcast statewide on Arizona PBS, an innovation and entrepreneurship lab where students create new digital products and services, a strategic communications lab, news and sports reporting bureaus in Phoenix, Washington and Los Angeles, and a Spanish-language program where students report and produce news content across media platforms for Spanish-speaking audiences.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Leading, editing, inspiring and teaching upper-level undergraduate and graduate journalism students in an agency-style environment to grow and engage client audiences.
• Driving audience acquisition and engagement through paid and organic social media campaigns, organic SEO efforts and SEM campaigns.
• Leading analyses of content performance and audience behavior, harnessing the data to create and improve engagement strategies.
• Teach students social, search and site analytics tools in real time.
• Overseeing the creation, design, production and editing of strategic content.
• Leading experimentation in audience engagement by discovering and teaching new tools and technologies that enhance digital storytelling.
• Forging partnerships with audience research leaders and technology companies to create an innovation test bed for audience engagement.
Five years of experience in a client-based strategic communications role planning and producing digital campaigns; experience creating digital content with a strong focus on advanced audience analytics; expertise in measurable social media engagement practices, paid campaign and day-to-day channel management; ability to teach SEO best practices, keyword research and PPC campaign creation; experience with new tools and technologies for digital storytelling; a bachelor’s degree.
Experience in an agency environment; experience managing digital content, campaign and/or strategic communication teams; experience developing audiences for media clients; experience designing and producing video and other visuals for digital audiences; experience working with undergraduate and/or graduate students; Google Analytics certification and/or related professional certifications.
Application deadline: May 18, 2018, or if not filled, the first of each two-week period thereafter until the search is closed.
Submit materials via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Attn: Jessica Pucci, Director of Digital Audience Programs
Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication
555 N. Central Avenue, Suite 302 Phoenix, AZ 85004
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
More detailed information can be found at https://www.asu.edu/aad/manuals/acd/acd401.html and https://www.asu.edu/titleIX/.