Golin is in search of a seasoned issues management and crisis communications pro to help oversee executive-level relationships and provide strategic counsel and direction to myriad clients across consumer, healthcare, technology and corporate communications clients.
At Golin, you’ll collaborate with cutting-edge thinkers and use industry leading technologies as part of a team that’s changing the way issues management and crisis response is done. Our team is rethinking the practice of issues management and crisis response in an era when fake news proliferates and the need to consider cultural diversity is exceedingly important.
If you’re an adrenaline junkie who thrives under the pressure and seeks to support some of the world’s most prominent brands, this is the job for you. The ideal candidate will have broad experience working with clients confronting reputational crises, and in helping companies identify issues and plan against those issues to protect their reputations ahead of crises.
The Director, Issues and Crisis Communications will be based in Chicago and working with a team of five, reporting to the Executive Director, Corporate Communications.
The ideal Director, Issues and Crisis Communications candidate will have the following:
• Substantial experience in issues management and crisis communications in an agency and/or in-house staff communications position
• Experience with the C-Suite – boardroom comfortability and executive presence
• Poise and grace under pressure (aka Calm, Cool & Collected)
• Working knowledge of social media, its amplification capabilities of issues (i.e. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, etc) and impact on brands and businesses
• Trusted counsel to a variety of clients across different industries and sectors
• Experience driving diverse perspectives on communications
• Experience helping clients avoid and/or manage through diversity related crises
• Working knowledge of trendspotting and forecasting future trends
• Possessing excellent writing and editing skills for delivering clear, simple, cohesive prose under perpetual deadlines
• Curious on what constitutes and makes news, social media engagement and broader public interest
• Proven understanding and sensitivity to issues that affect client brand and reputation
• Previous experience nurturing and growing strong individuals and teams
• Plan and execute proposed strategy, including content creation under deadlines
• Prior business development knowledge and experience
• Curious about the intersection of political and public policy impact on client’s business success
• Background working with political campaigns or activist groups a plus
• Multilingual a plus
The Director, Issues and Crisis Communications will possess the following competencies:
• Confidence – in providing guidance to the most challenging clients and most senior executives
• Calm – ensures team can find and deliver solutions to end crises when a situation gets worse
• Diversity of thought – bringing in a unique, diverse POV in their approach
• Creative – approach challenges with an open mind and find the best solutions
• Adrenaline thinker – can handle shifting priorities and deadline, work in ambiguity and creates order in turbulent environments
• Hands-on – can work in a collaborative environment
• Unbiased – can put aside opinions and act in client’s best interest
• Motivational – enjoy working with junior professionals and mentor
• Pragmatic – experience is grounded in traditional PR but deft in integrated approaches with a solid background in executing communications strategies which help shape and influence public opinion