You will also shape the direction and execution of our audience research that asks groundbreaking questions about news consumers and our deep reports that lay out strategic guidance on important issues like trust, analytics, subscription revenue and more. We also do Q&As and essay collections to feature innovative voices, and we can experiment with videos, quizzes, GIFs, and anything else that might help people learn and understand helpful insights. So bring your energy and creativity.
Excellent writing and editing skills are a must. Candidates must know how to craft a concise sentence, a clever transition and an engaging headline. You also must show fundamental skills in copy editing and grammar.
We’re also looking for people who already closely follow the news industry — trends, innovations, experiments, emerging business models, and more. Candidates should have a strong working knowledge of those things, and a bottomless hunger for learning and spreading new ideas.
Candidates should have some journalism experience, but creativity, writing and editing skills, fluency in digital media, and interest in problem solving and transformation are most important.
This position is based in API’s Arlington, Va., office and involves some occasional travel for API events and programs at news organizations around the country. The Editorial Manager plays a central role in API’s overall efforts.
- Curate the daily Need to Know newsletter that surfaces new and useful insights to help people do more innovative and sustainable journalism.
- Manage production of in-depth research reports, strategy studies, blog posts, and Q&As for API’s website.
- Contribute to API’s social media strategy for communicating our research and ideas.
- Work collaboratively with other API staff to help execute API’s wide range of research, training, experiments and technology programs.
- Contribute ideas and opportunities gleaned from curation and social media to API’s internal process of planning of future research and programs.
- Applicants must have at least 3 years of relevant experience as a student and/or professional working in journalism. Any specific experience in editing, web producing or newsletter writing is helpful.
- Applicants must have a strong grasp of current issues affecting the news industry and must have strong digital media skills. Experience with WordPress, MailChimp, or graphic design software is beneficial.
- Applicants must have outstanding writing and editing skills, grammatical knowledge, and interpersonal skills, and must be a self motivator and innovator.
- Applicants should demonstrate a passion for journalism, a history of immersing themselves in new ideas and finding creative solutions, and enthusiasm for communicating best practices and insights that help other journalists learn and grow.
***To apply, email a resume, a letter explaining your qualifications and desire for this role, and relevant samples of writing, to email@example.com, with “Editorial Manager” in the subject line. Applications should be submitted as soon as possible.***
About the American Press Institute
The American Press Institute advances an innovative and sustainable news industry by helping publishers understand and engage audiences, grow revenue, improve public-service journalism, and succeed at organizational change. The American Press Institute is a national 501(c)3 nonprofit educational organization affiliated with the News Media Alliance. It works with and draws on the best ideas from anyone working in news publishing and journalism and anyone interested in its mission of making journalism sustainable.