Key activities and requirements:
* Improve the quality of our morning newscasts. We need someone with a strong producing background who has a proven track record of thinking big picture. This person will implement best practices in production and content to grow our audience, especially those in targeted demographics.
* Coordinate content and presentation across all platforms (broadcast/digital/social).
* Supervise pre-production and live production to ensure quality and ethical standards and cooperation between production staff and editorial staff.
* Supervise the writing of content, including but not limited to stories, tease, headlines, digital copy and social posts.
* Manage schedules, overtime and performance for assigned direct reports, including but not limited to semi-annual reviews.
* Demonstration of editorial judgment. Knowledge of journalistic ethics and applicable laws.
* Develop other peoples' skills and leadership. We need someone who can show they have history of growing others, especially producers.
* Listen, learn, assess challenges and opportunities, collaborate to find solutions, and implement change. You should have a healthy appetite for risk in trying something new.
* You must be good with multitasking and prioritization in order to meet deadlines.
* Even in an active newsroom, you should bring an easy-going, confident attitude to be able to fit in with and lead our team.
* Perform other duties as assigned, including fill-in line producing.
Education & Experience/Certifications:
* Bachelor's degree in journalism, communication or related field preferred.
* 2-5 years journalism experience preferred.
Skills & Abilities:
* Knowledge and demonstration of editorial judgment, journalistic ethics and libel laws.
* Ability to create tactics and strategies to increase demo performance in key target areas for multiple platforms.
* Have working knowledge of federal, state and local laws impacting operations.
* Advanced oral and written communication skills.
* Broad understanding of newsroom operations and equipment.
* Proven ability to manage multiple tasks in a fast paced environment.
The E.W. Scripps Company (NYSE: SSP) serves audiences and businesses through a growing portfolio of television, radio and digital media brands. With 33 television stations, Scripps is one of the nation's largest independent TV station owners. Scripps runs an expanding collection of local and national journalism and content businesses, including Newsy, the next-generation national news network; podcast industry leader Midroll Media; and fast-growing national broadcast networks Bounce, Grit, Escape and Laff. Scripps produces original programming including "Pickler & Ben," runs an award-winning investigative reporting newsroom in Washington, D.C., and is the longtime steward of the Scripps National Spelling Bee. Founded in 1878, Scripps has held for decades to the motto, "Give light and the people will find their own way."