In this role, you will be responsible for managing the WFTS-TV Investigative Team which includes: researching, writing, editing, producing and gathering content for investigative stories across all Scripps platforms. You will also help coordinate coverage with the Scripps Florida I-Team that includes units from West Palm Beach and Ft. Myers.
Additional responsibilities include oversight and scheduling over all other special project stories and events produced at WFTS-TV. The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate tremendous organizational skills, and the ability to build and execute a successful strategy in line with the Action News brand.
You will work closely with management, editorial staff and reporters to produce compelling stories. The ideal candidate is at home in the digital world, and has 5+ years as a television news manager with a background in enterprise or investigative journalism.
* Research, develop, and plan investigative stories or special projects.
* Write scripts as needed.
* Work closely with MMJs/Reporters and content producers as stories are produced for multiple platforms.
* Regularly check tip line, emails, and respond to viewers.
* Shoot still and moving video as needed.
* Edit desktop video.
* Work closely with investigative reporters and content producers.
* May lead investigations, conduct interviews or be called upon for undercover field work.
* Work with editors to utilize graphics and other tools to visually enhance storytelling.
Education & Experience/Certifications
* Bachelor's degree in journalism or related field.
* 5+ years as a television news manager with a background in enterprise or investigative journalism preferred.
Skills & Abilities
* Knowledge and demonstration of creativity, editorial judgment, journalistic ethics and libel laws.
* Solid understanding and demonstration of multimedia file formats and strong computer skills.
* Working knowledge of federal, state, and local laws impacting operations.
* Knowledge and proficiency in posting content to television station websites.
* Must be a team player and adapt to developing situations quickly..
* Must be an excellent conversational writer with solid news judgement and a positive attitude.
* Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
* Some travel may be required.
* Valid driver's license and good driving record required. In addition, proof of insurance and liability coverage may be required.
The E.W. Scripps Company (NYSE: SSP) serves audiences and businesses through a growing portfolio of television, radio and digital media brands. With 33 television stations, Scripps is one of the nation's largest independent TV station owners. Scripps runs an expanding collection of local and national journalism and content businesses, including Newsy, the next-generation national news network; podcast industry leader Midroll Media; and fast-growing national broadcast networks Bounce, Grit, Escape and Laff. Scripps produces original programming including "Pickler & Ben," runs an award-winning investigative reporting newsroom in Washington, D.C., and is the longtime steward of the Scripps National Spelling Bee. Founded in 1878, Scripps has held for decades to the motto, "Give light and the people will find their own way."