* Monitors several programming sources simultaneously, managing and switching sources for local television station programming, remotely from the Hub.
* Monitors various levels and signals from multiple television sites.
* Manages several live program logs and ensures accuracy.
* Ensures the correct spots air during programming and notes any discrepancies.
* Solves problems and makes judgment calls with business implications in mind regarding programming changes, commercials, special reports, and technical difficulties; this includes evaluating clock/timing to consider options with regard to programming as well as deciding when to escalate issues.
* Makes decisions and consult with internal customers regarding local transmitter parameters and operation.
* Routinely collaborates with Media Prep Technicians and Traffic personnel to manage daily operation. Collaborates with other local news personnel as needed during breaking news situations.
* Interacts both verbally and in writing with internal Hub client stations in a manner that ensures all of our internal customers have a consistent experience. This includes sending alerts, responses to inquiries, collaboration on problem solving, documentation and/or resolution of issues.
* Works with networks and live program providers, where required, to problem-solve issues.
* Maintains current knowledge of and preparedness to execute disaster recovery procedures.
* Performs quality assurance checks as required.
* Depending on scheduling and PTO coverage needs, this position can require working overtime, holidays and weekends with short notice when necessary.
* Other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience/Certifications
* Must have a high school diploma or equivalent. Technical Certificate or training is desirable.
* 1-2 years of vocation /technical or an Associate's Degree strongly preferred.
* A minimum of 2 years of Television Master Control experience required. Up to 5 years desired.
* Experience in a hubbed master control environment is a plus.
* Experience with television automation systems and related equipment.
Skills & Abilities
* The ability to problem solve, and quickly take corrective action as necessary.
* A very high sense of responsibility and urgency regarding corrective action and customer service.
* Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
* Composure: Demonstrated ability to multi-task in a fast, deadline-driven environment, and maintain calmness and accuracy of work.
* Strong organization skills.
* Highly detail oriented.
* Quick mathematical skills, especially with regard to timekeeping.
* Working knowledge of video servers, routing processes and related equipment.
* Working knowledge of transmitter parameters and operations.
* Good communications skills, both verbal and written.
* Working knowledge of all functions and responsibilities of television Master Control.
The E.W. Scripps Company (NYSE: SSP) serves audiences and businesses through a growing portfolio of television, radio and digital media brands. With 33 television stations, Scripps is one of the nation's largest independent TV station owners. Scripps runs an expanding collection of local and national journalism and content businesses, including Newsy, the next-generation national news network; podcast industry leader Midroll Media; and fast-growing national broadcast networks Bounce, Grit, Escape and Laff. Scripps produces original programming including "Pickler & Ben," runs an award-winning investigative reporting newsroom in Washington, D.C., and is the longtime steward of the Scripps National Spelling Bee. Founded in 1878, Scripps has held for decades to the motto, "Give light and the people will find their own way."
As an equal employment opportunity employer, The E.W. Scripps Company and its affiliates do not discriminate in its employment decisions on the basis on race, sex, sexual orientation, gender, color, religion, age, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, citizenship or national origin, and military membership or veteran status, or on any other basis which would be in violation of any applicable federal, state or local law. Furthermore, the company will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship for the company.