Application Deadline: May 18, 2018
Founded in 1981, the Committee to Protect Journalists is an independent, non-profit organization defending journalists worldwide without regard to their political ideology. Through its work to safeguard journalists, CPJ protects the rights of all people to have access to diverse and independent sources of information.
CPJ seeks a full-time intern to assist with research and administrative support for the Middle East and North Africa team. The intern will have the opportunity to gain experience in program administration, background research and writing about press freedom in the Middle East region. This position reports to the Middle East Program Coordinator and will be based in New York. The position comes with a small stipend over 6 months.
▪ Providing background research in English and Arabic, doing interviews in English and Arabic, editing/writing, working with databases, and other support as needed for the Middle East program;
▪ Effectively using social media, including in Arabic, to disseminate the Middle East program's work;
▪ Communicating via secure online platforms, email and phone with CPJ staff, consultants and partners;
▪ Other related duties as assigned.
▪ Bachelor's degree in journalism, or related field, including international affairs or Middle Eastern studies. Current college or graduate students are also eligible.
▪ Fluency in English and Arabic, both verbal and written, is required. Ability to communicate in French is a plus.
▪ Proficiency with MS Office Suite and Google Drive.
▪ Ability to work independently and collaboratively with program team.
▪ Experience working in the Middle East is preferred.
Please e-mail a resume, cover letter, writing sample, and references to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 18, 2018. Please include "MENA Intern" in the subject line. Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted. Only candidates authorized to work in the U.S. without any restrictions need apply.
Due to volume, we cannot reply to individual inquiries on the status of applications. No phone calls, please.
CPJ is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.