The News Editor will work closely with writers and newsroom managers to meet a high bar for excellent reporting. They'll evaluate stories for focus, structure, style and journalistic standards such as objectivity and fairness. When needed, they'll also contribute research that adds heft to the story.
You should be someone who's passionate about news, excited about visual storytelling and, above all, a stellar editor.
What you’ll do:
* Champion excellence in journalism
* Edit drafts, crafting the best possible story every time
* Support content with research, data, facts and ideas
* Occasionally write or rewrite stories as needed
* Helps generate ideas for future story segments and special series
* Work decisively and efficiently to meet deadlines
* Uphold the highest standards of journalistic integrity and credibility
* Some micro-editing to ensure story polish
What You Bring:
* Excellent macro-editing and writing skills
* Strong journalistic instinct/judgment
* Ability to work creatively, efficiently and respectfully in a fast-paced environment
* Ability to provide and receive constructive feedback
* Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
Education and Experience:
* Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, English or equivalent experience
* At least 2 years of journalism experience
* Background in radio, podcasting or video a plus
Newsy is the next-generation national news network that provides “news with the why,” built to inform and engage with the top stories across every platform. It’s available on cable; on over-the- top services including Hulu, Roku, Apple TV, Sling TV, Watchable from Comcast, Pluto TV, Amazon Fire TV and Google Chromecast; and on connected television including Xumo. Newsy is also available via its mobile apps and at newsy.com.
As an equal employment opportunity employer, The E.W. Scripps Company and its affiliates do not discriminate in its employment decisions on the basis on race, sex, sexual orientation, gender, color, religion, age, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, citizenship or national origin, and military membership or veteran status, or on any other basis which would be in violation of any applicable federal, state or local law. Furthermore, the company will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship for the company.