The News Manager Apprentice position is focused on learning newsroom leadership responsibilities and developing the skills needed for news management. On-the-job developmental assignments and duties allow for optimum preparation while serving as a significant newsroom contributor. Once trained, the hope and expectation is to relocate to another Scripps-owned station elsewhere in the country to be responsible for directing gathering, production and distribution of news content on multiple platforms. Thus, candidates who apply and are hired must be willing to relocate to any Scripps location.
* Reporter coaching: Work with less experienced reporters, locally and possibly at other Scripps stations, to advance their skills in story development, deconstructing stories, and to develop online coverage.
* Shadow each functional role in the newsroom with assigned learning objectives and generates/shares reports to illustrate new knowledge.
* When ready, support news management with supervisory responsibilities on an as needed basis.
* Shadow interviewing and selection process for newsroom openings, debrief learning with hiring manager.
* When ready, assist news management in the on-going evaluation of personnel
* Work with news management to fully learn the station's content strategy and understand the aspects of strategy execution.
* Collaborate with news management to create tactics and strategies to successfully execute the content strategy.
* Strengthen working knowledge of federal, state and local laws impacting operations. Debrief knowledge with news management. Teach others.
* Examine and learn Scripps approach to cross platform content creation and distribution.
* Assist news management with writing copy and editing scripts and web content
* As requested, manage scheduling for newsroom employees.
* Support coverage planning of major events, i. e. elections, special events.
* Work with news management to study communication within the newsroom as well as items communicated across the station departments. Interview communication message senders and receivers. Make suggestions for strengthening communications. Implement suggestions as directed.
* Support or shadow News management in managing the budgetary aspects of newsroom operations
* Other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience/Certifications
* Bachelor degree in Journalism or related field.
* A minimum of 8 years of experience in journalism.
* Willingness to relocate upon completion of training required.
Skills & Abilities
* Advanced oral and written communication skills.
* Advanced computer skills including Microsoft Office.
* Broad understanding of newsroom operations, equipment and systems.
* Proven ability to manage multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment.
* Knowledge of and proficiency in posting content to websites.
The E.W. Scripps Company (NYSE: SSP) serves audiences and businesses through a growing portfolio of television, radio and digital media brands. With 33 television stations, Scripps is one of the nation's largest independent TV station owners. Scripps runs an expanding collection of local and national journalism and content businesses, including Newsy, the next-generation national news network; podcast industry leader Midroll Media; and fast-growing national broadcast networks Bounce, Grit, Escape and Laff. Scripps produces original programming including "Pickler & Ben," runs an award-winning investigative reporting newsroom in Washington, D.C., and is the longtime steward of the Scripps National Spelling Bee. Founded in 1878, Scripps has held for decades to the motto, "Give light and the people will find their own way."