Dear AAJA Members,
AAJA will be seeking a slate of new officers for the 2019-2020 term. Electronic voting will begin Wednesday, July 18 with the final results announced at the AAJA Gala Banquet in Houston, TX on Saturday, August 11.
We will be electing a President, Vice President of Finance and a Vice President of Civic Engagement. Nominations are due no later than Friday, June 29 at 5pm PDT. The role of each officer is below:
1. President: The President shall be the chief executive officer of the corporation and shall, subject to the control of the Governing Board, have general supervision, direction and control of the business and officers of the corporation. They shall preside at all meetings of the membership and at all meetings of the Governing Board and Advisory Board. The president shall be an ex-officio member of all standing committees, including the executive committee, if any. They shall have the general powers and duties of management usually vested in the office of president of a corporation and shall be vested with such other powers and duties as may be prescribed by the board of directors or the by-laws. The holder of this office shall be a member of the Governing Board.
2. Vice President of Finance: The Vice President of Finance shall keep and maintain, or cause to be kept and maintained in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles, adequate and correct accounts of the properties and business transactions of the corporation, including accounts of its assets, liabilities, receipts, disbursements, gains, losses, capital and earnings.
3. Vice President of Civic Engagement: The Vice President of Civic Engagement shall be dedicated to fulfilling the following two tenets of AAJA's mission, as well as providing outreach to AAPI communities and leading AAJA's media awareness efforts:
- To provide to the AAPI community an awareness of the news media and an understanding of how to gain fair access.
- To research and point out when news media organizations stray from accuracy and fairness in the coverage of Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders and AAPI issues.
This year's election schedule:
Wednesday, June 13 - Nomination period starts, 5pm PDT
Friday, June 29 - Nomination period ends, 5pm PDT
Monday, July 2 - Announcement of candidates, 5pm PDT
Wednesday, July 18 - Voting begins, 5pm PDT
Friday, August 10 - Voter eligibility deadline, 11am CDT
Friday, August 10 - Voting ends, 12pm CDT
Saturday, August 11 - Announcement of Officers-Elect at 2018 Gala Banquet in Houston
Only active AAJA members are eligible to nominate a candidate according to the by-laws. If you have any questions about your membership, please contact Justin Seiter at the AAJA National Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
ELECTION RESULTS: Election results will be announced during the AAJA Scholarship & Awards Gala Banquet on August 11, 2018 at the AAJA National Convention in Houston. For questions about the election, please contact Nicole Dungca at email@example.com.