* Collaborates with station managers to build strategy and tactics around opinion content – calendar, timing, platforms, topics.
* Recommend topics for opinion content to supervisor and to station Editorial Board.
* Draft and edit station editorials and commentaries.
* Work with internal staff and freelancers/contributors to solicit and review additional opinion and perspective.
* Participate in appropriate conversations, on social media and elsewhere, to position the station as a center of, and a contributor to, important and influential conversations around the community.
* Manage relations with the station Editorial Board, including recruiting and retention of members of the board, scheduling in-person meetings, and soliciting of feedback around editorial drafts.
* Manage relations with other community groups that can provide insight and feedback to station leaders about important topics in the community.
* Work to expand the reach of station editorials and commentaries to current and future station platforms, as well as outside content platforms and networks.
* Work with station’s leaders to engage key members and groups of our community.
* Use analytical tools and other feedback mechanisms to measure the impact and reach of station opinion content.
* Performs other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience/Certifications
* Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or related discipline is required.
* A minimum of 5 years of experience in journalism and news writing, with substantial experience in local community news and issues strongly preferred.
* 2 years of experience in writing editorial content strongly preferred.
* Experience in engaging a diverse group of community members in conversation about important issues of the day.
Skills & Abilities
* Journalism: Skilled storyteller, journalistic ethics and libel.
* Advanced oral and written communication skills.
* Working knowledge of all media platforms and broad understanding of broadcast newsroom operations and equipment.
* Calm under pressure: able to manage multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment.
* Customer focus: understands customer needs, raises the bar on customer service, develops unified approach to exceed customer expectations.
* Very strong collaborator: involves others in problem solving and decision making, asks for and considers an array of perspectives, comfortable relying on the expertise of others and joint decision making.
* Manage execution: setting expectations, delegating, facilitating, removing barriers, measuring performance, and fostering accountability/recognition.
* Engage and inspire at all levels: create environment where people feel appreciated, and valued, are committed and want to excel, and want to define opportunities to improve the organization.
* Manage conflict: Constructive in working through differences, handles recurrent conflict, resolves issues between employees, preserves relationships.
* Decision making: Ties decisions to strategy, uses sound logic, makes decisions at the right time, brings others into decision making process, chooses the best alternative.
* Coach: Continuously cultivates capabilities by asking the right questions and equipping staff with tools, knowledge and opportunities they need to develop themselves.
* Delegation: is clear about lines of responsibility, allows staff to make mistakes, offers guidance without taking over, enables team to manage daily operation of their teams.
* Valid driver's license and good driving record required. In addition, proof of insurance and liability coverage may be required.