The Content Manager has overall responsibility for all newscasts during their shift, as well as general newsroom oversight during their daypart, when senior managers are not present. This oversight includes significant editorial judgement, story selection and showcasing on all platforms.
* Manages newsroom content and showcasing across multiple platforms, to improve the quality of our product and the growth of our audience as measured by ratings and analytics.
* Collaborates with producers, field crews, content coordinators, real-time desk editors, anchors, and other managers to select stories for coverage.
* Oversees and edits writing for all platforms, including stories, newscast teases, web headlines and social posts. Reviews digital and broadcast stories, ensuring accuracy and journalistic balance.
* On occasion, will produce newscasts.
* Hires, schedules and manages team of newscast producers to deliver and continuously improve the quality of our news programs.
* Develops and supervises effective workflow strategies and procedures for multiple programs and platforms.
* Provides regular coaching and feedback to individuals and larger groups.
* Operates with senior editorial authority in the newsroom when supervising managers are not available, and know when to call a supervisor for assistance with higher-level decisions.
* Ensures newscasts are consumer-focused and properly organized. Seeks insight from ratings trends and acts upon that data and other research.
* Coordinate national content for broadcast with Scripps leaders elsewhere.
* Monitors all product on all platforms for compliance to federal, state and local laws as well as First and Fourteenth Amendments, and trains staff to do the same.
* Develops a pipeline of talent.
* Performs other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience/Certifications
* College degree in related field or equivalent experience required
* A minimum of 4 years' experience in digital media, journalism, broadcast or a closely-related field required.
* TV news producing experience strongly preferred.
* 2 of more years' supervisory experience preferred.
Skills & Abilities
* Journalism: Skilled storyteller, journalistic ethics and libel.
* Working knowledge of television ratings.
* Advanced oral and written communication skills.
* Working knowledge of all media platforms and broad understanding of broadcast newsroom operations and equipment.
* Calm under pressure: able to manage multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment.
* Customer focus: understands customer needs, raises the bar on customer service, develops unified approach to exceed customer expectations.
* Very strong collaborator: involves others in problem solving and decision making, asks for and considers an array of perspectives, comfortable relying on the expertise of others and joint decision making.
* Manage execution: setting expectations, delegating, facilitating, removing barriers, measuring performance, and fostering accountability/recognition.
* Engage and inspire at all levels: create environment where people feel appreciated, and valued, are committed and want to excel, and want to define opportunities to improve the organization.
* Manage conflict: Constructive in working through differences, handles recurrent conflict, resolves issues between employees, preserves relationships.
* Decision making: Ties decisions to strategy, uses sound logic, makes decisions at the right time, brings others into decision making process, chooses the best alternative.
* Coach: Continuously cultivates capabilities by asking the right questions and equipping staff with tools, knowledge and opportunities they need to develop themselves.
* Delegation: is clear about lines of responsibility, allows staff to make mistakes, offers guidance without taking over, enables team to manage daily operation of their teams.
The E.W. Scripps Company (NYSE: SSP) serves audiences and businesses through a growing portfolio of television, radio and digital media brands. With 33 television stations, Scripps is one of the nation's largest independent TV station owners. Scripps runs an expanding collection of local and national journalism and content businesses, including Newsy, the next-generation national news network; podcast industry leader Midroll Media; and fast-growing national broadcast networks Bounce, Grit, Escape and Laff. Scripps produces original programming including "Pickler & Ben," runs an award-winning investigative reporting newsroom in Washington, D.C., and is the longtime steward of the Scripps National Spelling Bee. Founded in 1878, Scripps has held for decades to the motto, "Give light and the people will find their own way."