The Newsy Content Writer will contribute to smart, stories-first, daily news programs. You’ll be tasked with writing quick, informative, clever news headlines, to be delivered in conversational voice. A strong writing background from a national or international newsroom is preferred.
Create high-quality and informative editorial content for daily and feature news programs for Newsy. The Content Writer reports directly to the Supervising Producer, Newsy.
* Develop, research, write content for live or pre-produced feature news programs
* Assist in development of longform segments
* Serve as additional macro-editing support
* Assist with coverage of major news events to ensure high-quality content is delivered to Newsy’s consumers
* Active contributor to editorial meetings, by offering unique ideas which represent the Newsy brand
* Collaborate with the Senior Director of Programming, Supervising Producer, Line Producer to ensure news coverage is accurate and compelling
* Perform other duties as needed and directed
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Education & Experience/Certifications
* BS/BA in journalism, communication or related field preferred
* Two-plus years experience in television/linear production strongly preferred
Skills & Abilities
Sound editorial judgment
* Must demonstrate good writing skills (including AP style)
* Must demonstrate willingness to work with team members to ensure accurate, fact-based storytelling reaches Newsy’s consumers
* Must be able to multitask, meet deadlines and work under pressure
* Experience working in a dynamic, fast-paced newsroom environment strongly preferred
* A moderate level of mobility is required in expediting work flow processes and procedures
* Must be physically able to sit at a workstation and maintain productivity for upwards of eight (8) hours on occasion and adapt to shift work
* A relatively high degree of mental acuity and social skills are necessary to successfully interact with coworkers, newsroom supervisors, and the general public, often under time-sensitive conditions
* Overnight, weekend, holiday and overtime work may be required
* Travel rarely required
Newsy is the next-generation national news network that provides “news with the why,” built to inform and engage with the top stories across every platform. It’s available on cable; on over-the-top services including Hulu, Roku, Apple TV, Sling TV, Watchable from Comcast, Pluto TV, Amazon Fire TV and Google Chromecast; and on connected television including Xumo. Newsy is also available via its mobile apps and at newsy.com.
As an equal employment opportunity employer, The E.W. Scripps Company and its affiliates do not discriminate in its employment decisions on the basis of race, sex, sexual orientation, gender, color, religion, age, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, citizenship or national origin, and military membership or veteran status, or on any other basis which would be in violation of any applicable federal, state or local law. Furthermore, the company will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship for the company.