The Sr. Manager of Broadcast Content works closely with peer leaders in executing the Scripps content strategy so that local consumer expectations are met on platforms including app, OTT, mobile, web and social. This includes local content vision and strategy to address consumer needs, content standards, delivery, quality control and continuous improvement. The primary focus of this role is executing strategy on the television broadcast platform.
* Collaborates with Sr. Dir. of Local Content and team of peer leaders to leverage the Scripps content strategy as the foundation for specific local content strategy. Within the strategy, this position has specific attention on meeting the needs of the broadcast consumer.
* Partners with content leaders to plan and coordinate content resources for daily coverage on the broadcast platform.
* Works closely with the leader of Enterprise/Investigative and content and marketing leaders to plan future story schedules.
* Hires, schedules and manages a team to deliver and continuously improve our television broadcast news product.
* In alignment with the Scripps content strategy, creates tactics and strategies to increase ratings (demos) performance.
* Monitors all on-air product for compliance to Federal, State and local laws as well as First and Fourteenth Amendments, and trains staff to do the same.
* Reviews copy, builds capability in staff to review/edit scripts for air.
* Analyzes and responds to trends affecting the television broadcast platform and the DMA.
* Provides coaching and development of staff to ensure the strategy for our broadcasts is understood and followed.
* Ensures shows are properly organized and consumer focused.
* Develops a pipeline of producing talent for this and other Scripps local media businesses.
* Works closely with the editorial leader to evaluate workflow and optimize news operations.
* Responsible for broadcast platform budgetary planning and monitoring.
* Other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience
* Bachelor's degree in Journalism or a combination of education and equivalent experience required.
* A minimum of 8 years of experience in positions of progressive responsibility required.
* 3 years of management experience in content media departments preferred.
* Experience turning news shows around to improve business results.
Skills & Abilities
* Journalism: Skilled storyteller, journalistic ethics and libel.
* Working knowledge of television ratings.
* Advanced oral and written communication skills.
* Working knowledge of all media platforms and broad understanding of broadcast newsroom operations and equipment.
* Calm under pressure: able to manage multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment
* Customer focus: understands customer needs, raises the bar on customer service, develops unified approach to exceed customer expectations.
* Very strong collaborator: involves others in problem solving and decision making, asks for and considers an array of perspectives, comfortable relying on the expertise of others and joint decision making.
* Manage execution: setting expectations, delegating, facilitating, removing barriers, measuring performance, and fostering accountability/recognition.
* Engage and inspire at all levels: create environment where people feel appreciated, and valued, are committed and want to excel, and want to define opportunities to improve the organization.
* Manage conflict: Constructive in working through differences, handles recurrent conflict, resolves issues between employees, preserves relationships.
* Decision making: Ties decisions to strategy, uses sound logic, makes decisions at the right time, brings others into decision making process, chooses the best alternative.
* Coach: Continuously cultivates capabilities by asking the right questions and equipping staff with tools, knowledge and opportunities they need to develop themselves.
* Delegation: is clear about lines of responsibility, allows staff to make mistakes, offers guidance without taking over, enables team to manage daily operation of their teams.
The E.W. Scripps Company (NYSE: SSP) serves audiences and businesses through a growing portfolio of television, radio and digital media brands. With 33 television stations, Scripps is one of the nation's largest independent TV station owners. Scripps runs an expanding collection of local and national journalism and content businesses, including Newsy, the next-generation national news network; podcast industry leader Midroll Media; and fast-growing national broadcast networks Bounce, Grit, Escape and Laff. Scripps produces original programming including "Pickler & Ben," runs an award-winning investigative reporting newsroom in Washington, D.C., and is the longtime steward of the Scripps National Spelling Bee. Founded in 1878, Scripps has held for decades to the motto, "Give light and the people will find their own way."