The most fun you can have in podcasting, other than hosting, is being an editor. Story Editors help podcasters figure out what they want to say and how to say it. They argue for the surprise and suspense, the humor and the play that make podcasts special. In documentaries and big, ambitious stories, Story Editors plot the bright narrative line that carries us through. If you have experience coaching talented teams toward excellent narrative work, either in radio or film or another linear medium, we want to hear from you. Midroll / Stitcher is hiring a Story Editor to guide some documentary and idea-driven projects so exciting we can't reveal what they are yet. You will also work with existing show teams, helping them grow audience and continue to evolve their sound.
In this position, you'll lead the editorial conversation with podcast hosts and producers. You're the audience advocate, dedicated to creating programs that are thrilling to hear and rewarding across their entire run. You will report to the Executive Editor.
What you'll do
* Manage 2-3 teams of show hosts and producers, setting goals and coaching skills
* Guide the editorial arc of programs from initial pitches through execution
* Organize and lead edits and listening sessions, drawing the best ideas out of the team and establishing next steps
* Ensure non-fiction programs are produced to an unimpeachable journalistic standard of accuracy and fairness, while delivering a riveting listening experience
* Identify talent and areas of opportunity for the organization, cultivating relationships in the interest of breakthrough programs and diversification of voices in podcasting
* Manage the relationship with a variety of outside production studios, helping them hit the editorial mark and deliver on schedule
* Communicate frequently with Stitcher and Earwolf EPs, the Executive Editor and key stakeholders to make sure the editorial is tracking well against business and audience goals
* Lead regular special projects, produced internally or in collaboration with contractors or outside studios
* Work with the Executive Editor to help shape business plans and research projects, targeting the strongest possible audience for any given project
* Serve as a subject specialist, as assigned, and work toward hubs of like-themed programming - i.e., food podcasts, or parenting, or scripted fiction
What you bring
* 5+ years of experience editing or producing excellent, collaborative and story-driven content for a national audience
* Experience managing teams and helping employees reach their professional goals
* Ability to lead producers and talent to produce excellent, award-winning stories
* Proactive and positive communication skills
* Must be comfortable with working with remote teams
* Ability to travel up to 1-2 days a month
* Ability to work on the weekends, overnight and holidays if need be
To qualify for an interview, you must submit a cover letter along with your resume. In your cover letter, tell us about a podcast you heard in the last year that you thought was well edited. What choices did the creators make that were smart? What lessons can others take from it? Also, tell us why you're the best fit for this position. Please submit your cover letter and resume as one document (word or PDF).
MIDROLL MEDIA IS A WHOLLY-OWNED SUBSIDIARY OF THE E.W. SCRIPPS COMPANY.
Midroll Media is a leading podcast content company, advertising network and distribution platform that is changing the face of digital audio. It is the parent company of the Earwolf network and its top-ranked comedy podcasts; popular podcast listening platform and content network Stitcher and its premium subscription service; and the Midroll advertising network, representing over 300 of the world's largest podcasts. With offices in Los Angeles, New York City and San Francisco, Midroll was founded in 2010 and is a wholly owned subsidiary of The E.W. Scripps Company (NYSE: SSP).
As an equal employment opportunity employer, The E.W. Scripps Company and its affiliates do not discriminate in its employment decisions on the basis on race, sex, sexual orientation, gender, color, religion, age, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, citizenship or national origin, and military membership or veteran status, or on any other basis which would be in violation of any applicable federal, state or local law. Furthermore, the company will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship for the company.