Reports to Title: Deputy Editorial Director
Salary: Commensurate with experience
FLSA Status: Exempt
Start Date: Immediate
Application Deadline: May 7, 2018
The Committee to Protect Journalists promotes press freedom worldwide and defends the right of journalists to report the news without fear of reprisal. CPJ ensures the free flow of news and commentary by taking action wherever journalists are attacked, imprisoned, killed, kidnapped, threatened, censored, or harassed.
Job Summary & Details:
CPJ seeks an editor and reporter to lead its coverage of global technology developments and policies that affect journalists and freedom of the press. The reporting is the foundation of CPJ’s advocacy efforts to allow journalists to work freely and securely on digital platforms.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
• Provide expert editing of copy by CPJ researchers and international correspondents on tech issues
• Report on policies and actions of governments and technology corporations that directly impact journalists and how they do their work.
• On a global scale, conduct research into breaches of journalists’ privacy and security, and the obstruction of online news gathering and dissemination, in order to identify issues that influence and support CPJ’s advocacy goals.
• Work with regional researchers and correspondents to identify areas of tech coverage and build program expertise.
• Serve as back-up editor for general press freedom coverage as needed.
• Occasional weekend or evening work.
• Other duties as assigned
Qualifications & Work Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
• At least five years in journalism, including extensive coverage of technology
• Deep understanding of the technology behind the gathering and dissemination of news and information.
• Knowledge of the legislative and regulatory framework in the information and communications technology (ICT) industry.
• Native-level English communications skills
• Experience editing writers whose first language is not English
• Familiarity with web content management systems such as Wordpress or Moveable Type and basic HTML coding
• International work or study experience.
• Foreign language skills
Competencies (Key Behaviors):
• Ability to write clearly and quickly on complex issues for both specialist and general audiences.
• Ability to guide and edit the work of others on complex issues of technology and policy
• Initiative to produce regular stories while managing to tight deadlines
• Flexibility to define and adapt the role, which is new, as dictated by changing circumstances and organizational objectives
• Commitment to, and passion for, freedom of the press.
• Collaborative spirit
• Strong organizational skills
• Ability to work independently
• Sense of humor
How to apply
Please submit a brief cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, with "Technology Editor" in the subject line.
CPJ is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Due to volume, we cannot reply to individual inquiries on the status of applications. If you are selected as a candidate, CPJ will contact you directly to arrange an interview. No phone calls please.