DEADLINE: Sunday, November 18, 2018 at 11:59PM PDT
Have you ever wanted to be an integral part of the Voices college program and direct the next generation of newsroom leaders and innovators? Here is your chance! The Voices program is in search of a Program Director for 2019-2020.
Voices serves as a multimedia journalism training fellowship for college and graduate students, as well as a leadership program for mid-career journalists who serve as faculty. The program is a recruiting tool to increase diversity in newsrooms and takes place annually during the week of the AAJA national convention. Each year, the most promising students will be selected and given the opportunity to build skills and develop their published work online and via a printed publication. Portions of your travel and lodging for Voices may be covered by AAJA National. This is an unpaid position.
- Must be a current AAJA member in good standing.
- Must have at least 5 years experience as a working professional journalist in a newsroom.
- Familiarity with journalism student project initiatives, leadership experience or other relevant journalism education experience is encouraged.
The Voices program director’s role includes a two-year commitment and begins once appointed. Voices is a year-round responsibility. Part of the job also includes planning for continuity of the program and developing new leadership talent to transition into the role of the next director.
Description of the role:
The AAJA Voices program director leads the overall vision and planning of the Voices program and is directly responsible for the activities and day-to-day professionalism of all students and volunteer faculty.
Responsibilities for the planning and execution of year-long activities include:
- Liaison with AAJA national staff, executive director and president
- Lead liaison with national staff on recruiting/fundraising/planning logistics
- Budget planning
- Building program development, curriculum development
- Marketing and branding
- Recruiting and retention
Please see the application for in-depth analysis of responsibilities.
The Voices class of 2018 in Houston, TX.
Please contact Daniel Garcia at DanielG@aaja.org with questions.