Apply to judge AAJA Awards
The Asian American Journalists Association is recruiting judges for the AAJA Journalism Excellence Awards. A diverse set of experienced journalists and editors will be appointed to review entries and select finalists and winners for works published in 2020 and 2021. Awards submissions will open in January 2022 and the judging process will take place from April-July 2022.
What Are The AAJA Awards?
The Asian American Journalists Association has honored excellence in journalism since 1987. Through our awards, AAJA aims to highlight and amplify journalists and nonfiction storytellers whose work exemplifies our mission for greater AAPI representation and meaningful inclusion in the media industry and in media coverage. AAJA seeks to highlight insightful stories of underrepresented communities and the journalists who work to bring their stories to light.
- Have opportunities to review the most outstanding journalism AAJA members and non-members produced in the past year
- Contribute to advocating for advancing diversity in newsrooms and ensuring fair and accurate coverage of communities of color
- Review approximately 30 entries in each of the category(s) you are appointed to judge
- Must be able to commit to review entries between April – July (because it is a new process, we do not have time estimates yet)
- Must participate in a review call for each category you are appointed to judge
- You don’t need to be a full-time journalist or editor, but you must have a passion for and professional experience in journalism.
- Must have active AAJA membership
- Must help us recruit judges for the next awards season
If you are interested in judging the AAJA Awards, please fill out the required information in the form.