AAJA launched the ABC News/Alexa Valiente Summer Internship in 2021. This internship is named in memory of Alexa Valiente who was a proud member of AAJA and passed away in 2019 at the age of 27. Alexa started her ABC News career as an intern for the digital team and rose to being a producer. Alexa was well known for her passion for journalism, curiosity and great storytelling.
Each intern who will come through AAJA to this internship will embody these same characteristics and have just as much of a lasting impact on the important work we do each day as Alexa.
Ideal candidates can manage multiple projects simultaneously, have a passion for news stories, thrive work in a fast-paced environment, have strong communication skills and are self-motivated and have positive attitude.
A junior or senior currently enrolled in an accredited college or university and taking at least one class or a graduate, in the last six months, from an accredited college or university
Active AAJA student member
Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
Previous internship experience, either print or broadcast
Some experience related to social media
Must be eligible to work in the US
- A 150-200 word statement that explains why you want to pursue a career in broadcast journalism and what you hope to gain from an internship at ABC News
- Letter of recommendation
- Recent transcript
- Work samples
As an intern at ABC News, you will perform a variety of editorial and production duties that are invaluable to one of the network’s many shows and digital platforms including Good Morning America, World News Tonight with David Muir, 20/20, Nightline, abcnews.com, ABC News Live and The View.
You will play an integral role behind the scenes to manage the enormous flow of information that comes in every day. Daily duties include:
- Assisting staff with all aspects of production
- Booking, story development & research
- Prepping and assisting with shoots and supporting video editing
- Covering breaking news, logging & transcribing
- Coordinating administrative duties within the office
This internship will be
- Paid for 12 weeks, 40 hours per week at a rate that will be discussed at the time of the offer
- Held from May/June to August/September
- Internship will be held in our New York City or Washington, D.C. office
- Feature speaker events with ABC News leaders and networking opportunities with recruiters for full-time positions
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Learn more about Alexa Valiente here.
AAJA Announces 2021-2022 Scholarships, Internships and Fellowships Recipients
The Asian American Journalists Association is proud to announce the 2022 scholarship and internship winners. After careful consideration, winners were selected from a pool of highly qualified and competitive candidates
AAJA Announces 2022 Internship and Fellowship Recipients with NBC News, ABC News and ESPN
The Asian American Journalists Association is thrilled to announce internship and fellowship recipients with several organizations that we are proud to partner with on opportunities for young professionals. Our NBC
Announcing the 2021 AAJA Scholarship and Internship Grant Winners
The Asian American Journalists Association is proud to announce the 2021 scholarship and internship winners. After careful consideration, winners were selected from a pool of highly qualified and competitive
AAJA Mourns the Loss of Producer Alexa Valiente
AAJA is deeply saddened by Alexa Valiente’s passing. Alexa, an ABC News producer, passed away on April 5 at the age of 27. Alexa was an active member of the