Getty Images and the Asian American Journalists Association are pleased to announce a new collaboration to award $10,000 to a university student focused on visual journalism. The Getty Images Inclusion Scholarship reinforces our organizations’ commitment to promoting diversity and inclusion within the editorial photography industry and journalism more broadly.
The Getty Images Inclusion Scholarship is open to undergraduate and graduate students attending accredited colleges and universities in the United States. The recipient will also be invited to attend the 2021 AAJA National Convention. Applicants are not required to be AAJA members, but the scholarship recipient must sign up for a student membership.
Candidates will be judged on the strength of their photographic portfolios, academic performance and a demonstrated commitment to the field of visual journalism. The deadline to apply is May 31 at 11:59pm PT. Please review the following application requirements and the more detail terms and conditions within the application form.
- This Getty Images Inclusion Scholarship is open to undergraduate and graduate students attending or accepted by accredited colleges and universities in the U.S. with at least one year of school remaining, beginning in the fall of 2021.
- This scholarship is not open to applicants attending non-accredited schools or schools located outside of the U.S. Family members of employees of Getty Images, AAJA and their parents, subsidiaries and affiliated companies are not eligible to enter. Use of a false name or address will disqualify an applicant.
- Each applicant may only submit one application. Getty Images and AAJA reserve the right to oblige any potential winner to provide documentary proof of their identity.
- Applicants are not required to be AAJA members, and committed to its mission. Students may join for $25 at www.aaja.org/join, also making them eligible for all other AAJA scholarships and internships opportunities, with access to AAJA’s Career Center. The selected winner is required a 1 year AAJA membership during the scholarship term.
- Applicants may not apply for more than one Getty Images Inclusion Scholarship (i.e., a similar scholarship offered with the NABJ, NAHJ or other organization).
- Resume One-page resume listing your educational background, work history, awards, journalism-related internships, other scholarships, language proficiency and any work done for your school or community newspaper, website or TV station.
- Letters of Recommendation Two references from people who are familiar with your academic and/or journalism work. (Examples: professors, counselors, employers, faculty advisers, etc.). Letters from relatives will not be accepted.
- Unofficial School Transcript If you have attended more than one school, a transcript is required from each institution unless grades from the previous school(s) appear on the present transcript.
- Proof of enrollment A copy of your current course schedule, or your upcoming course schedule if enrolled in a program beginning next term.
- Essay 300 words or less that explain your commitment to journalism and photography. All written parts of the submission must be submitted in English.
- Work Samples A portfolio of 15 – 20 still images, plus up to five option video clips.
Please note that applicants may not apply for more than one Getty Images Inclusion Scholarship (i.e., a similar scholarship offered with the NABJ, NAHJ or other organization).
The judging team will be comprised of Getty Images and AAJA professionals and the judges shall pick the winners on objective criteria. The scholarship recipient will be notified in June.
- If accepted, selected scholarship recipients are required to enroll in AAJA membership (if they are not already an active member at the time of the application).
- From an applicant’s submitted work samples: a) No materials and ideas contained within the application will be used by Getty Images, AAJA or scholarship judges for any purpose other than the scholarship review and selection process and for publicity (as outlined below); b) You retain the copyrights to any imagery submitted for the judges’ review; c) Submissions may be rejected by Getty Images or AAJA if in their discretion the submission is deemed to be immoral, obscene, profane or in violation of these rules.
- By submitting an application, applicant certifies that his, her or their application will not infringe the intellectual property right, right of privacy, right of publicity, right of morality or other personal or proprietary right of another person or entity.
- By participating, applicants and winners each agree to release, indemnify and hold harmless Getty Images, and AAJA, each of its affiliates, partners and promotion and advertising agencies and each of their respective parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, partners, representatives, agents, successors, assigns, employees, officers and directors (collectively, the “Released Entities”), from any and all liability, for loss, harm, damage, injury, cost or expense whatsoever, including without limitation property damage, personal injury and/or death which may occur in connection with, preparation for, travel to, or participation in this promotion, or possession, acceptance and/or use or misuse of prize or participation in any promotion-related activity and for any claims based on copyright, trademark, publicity rights, defamation or invasion of privacy and merchandise delivery.
- Neither AAJA nor Getty Images shall be liable for any damage, loss or disappointment suffered by any person taking part or not being able to take part in the scholarship process.