AAJA is excited to announce the call for applications for the 2020 Executive Leadership Program.
The ELP leadership seminar is for any professional journalist who is interested in moving ahead in the workplace and developing the skills to achieve goals small and large, professional and personal. ELP has designed a program that is challenging, practical and life changing and is recommended for anyone with four or more years of experience in a media organization.
This is not a business-as-usual program about how to become a better manager. It is a transformational program aimed at developing the next generation of diverse journalism leaders who can lead in uncertain times and build a sustainable future for journalism.
The program explores the responsibilities and challenges of the media workplace, how to lead in the changing landscape and how cultural values come into play. Led by experienced career coaches and senior news executives, participants will explore a variety of topics in a small, nurturing environment.
The trainings are highly-interactive and have participants engaged in timely discussions, such as:
- How do leadership styles across various cultures affect our work?
- Deconstructing corporate culture to inform paths to success and overcoming barriers.
- In what ways do my background and passion impact my work?
- How does digital media impact the industry and what is my role in it?
- How can I meaningfully contribute to the industry and my community?
- What lessons can be learned from established and emerging media markets?
Specifically, participants explore perspectives and gain concrete approaches on:
- Diversity and culture in the workplace
- Leadership skills, styles, and opportunities
- Power, politics, and influence
- Professional and career goal setting
- Personal branding and confidence
- Negotiation tactics and applications
THE DEADLINE FOR ELP 2020 HAS PASSED
Individuals with at least four to seven years of experience are encouraged to apply. Space is limited and applications are reviewed on a rotating basis until filled.
The 2020 ELP Session will be held at the ABC News in New York City from April 6-10, 2020. Participants are responsible for their own transportation to and from ABC, as well as for their hotel accommodations.
TUITION AND PAYMENT
Tuition for ELP is $1,275 for AAJA members and $2,000 for non-members. It includes the costs of instructional materials, breakfast, lunch, and some evening group dinners.
Applicants accepted to ELP must provide a $300 deposit by March 8, 2020, and full payment must be received by March 29, 2020. Applicants who cancel their registration after March 5 will not receive a refund.
Those in need of financial assistance may reach out their employers or local AAJA chapter leadership (AAJA members only).
HOW TO APPLY
You must be a professional journalist to apply for the program.
Click here for the application and fill it out completely.
Applications are due by March 15, 2020 at 11:59 PT. Please note that space is very limited.
Attach the following documents to the form:
• A résumé or link to your LinkedIn profile
• A professional, color, high-resolution photo
• A letter of recommendation from a supervisor (OPTIONAL)
• A short 40-word biography
• A 250-word statement explaining what you hope to learn from this program and how it will help your career
Contact Daniel Garcia at the AAJA national office with any questions.