Latest news from AAJA about the Coronavirus. This list will be updated periodically.
- AAJA Stands with Journalists Pressing for Accountability in Coronavirus Response
- Joint Statement Denouncing Anti-Asian Racism During Coronavirus Outbreak
- AAJA Statement on the Expulsion of Three Wall Street Journal Correspondents
- AAJA Calls on News Organizations to Exercise Care in Coverage of the Coronavirus Outbreak from AAJA MediaWatch
RESOURCES FOR JOURNALISTS AND NEWSROOM
- (2020, May 1) Coronavirus Toolkit, Student Press Law Center
- (2020, April 1) Taking Care of Journalists and Journalism, Freedom Forum Institute
- (2020, March 19) Coronavirus: Resources for Reporters, First Draft News
- (2020, March 18) Press freedom and government transparency during COVID-19, Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press
- Al Tompkins and Sidney Tompkins (2020, March 15). How journalists can fight stress from covering the coronavirus, Poynter
- Nieman Guide to Covering a Pandemic: How do People React in a Pandemic? Nieman Foundation for Journalism at Harvard
- The Newsroom Guide to Covid-19, The Newsroom Guide
- COVID-19 Resources, AAJA-San Francisco Bay Area Chapter Community
- Discrimination Relating to the Coronavirus in New York State Human Rights Law, NYS Division of Human Rights
EMERGENCY RELIEF FUNDS
- The Facebook Journalism Project COVID-19 Local News Relief Fund Grant Program, Facebook
- Paycheck Protection Program. U.S. Small Business Administration.
- COVID-19 Journalism Relief Fund, International Women’s Media Foundation — Also available in Chinese
- Covid-19 Emergency Fund for Journalists, National Geographic
- How small-business owners and the self-employed can take advantage of the coronavirus stimulus package, Fortune
- Microloans for Journalists, Sisi Wei with Robert Faturechi, Ryan Gabrielson, Topher Sanders
MEMBER ARTICLES COVERING THE CORONAVIRUS
- Thomas Manglona (2020, April 15) FULL INTERVIEW: United States Congressman for the Northern Marianas Kilili Sablan shares the latest on the CARES Act and response to COVID-19. KUAM News.
- Lucas Kwan Peterson (2020, April 10) To make ends meet, these Little Tokyo restaurants are embracing social media (with some help), Los Angeles Times.
- Matt Stevens (2020, April 9) ABA webinar explores COVID-19 pandemic through lens of Asian American perspective, Asian Bar Association
- Matt Stevens (2020, April 10, updated from March 29) How Asian-American Leaders Are Grappling With Xenophobia Amid Coronavirus, New York Times
- Sarah Zhang (2020, April 8) The Best Hopes for a Coronavirus Drug, The Atlantic
- Terry Tang (2020, April 4) Asian Americans use social media to mobilize against attacks, Associated Press
- Grace Wong (2020, April 3) ‘To us right now, time is life.’ Chinese community mobilizing to provide medical supplies to Chicago-area hospitals, Chicago Tribune
- Samantha Masunaga (2020, April 2).
- Work, teach repeat: How working parents are coping under coronavirus, Los Angeles Times
- This telescope could help us explore the heavens, but it’s stuck in coronavirus limbo, Los Angeles Times, with Ralph Vartabedian
- Nicole Dungca with Jenn Abelson, John Sullivan. (2020, March 29). As Trump declared coronavirus under control, local leaders faced confusion and chaos as cases piled up, Washington Post
- Leezel Tanglao (2020, March 26). When there are risks everywhere, do you stay or do you go? Medium
- Willoughby Mariano and J. Scott Trubey, (2020, March 23) Confusion, scarcity lead to haphazard testing in state’s virus response, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
- Moriah Balingit (2020, March 16). Schools serve more than 20 million free lunches every day. If they close, where will children eat? Washington Post
- Anh Do (2020, March 15). Coronavirus means fear and isolation for many Asian American seniors and more for the Los Angeles Times
- Yifan Yu, Marrian Zhou, and Alex Fang (2020, March 14). Asians in US torn between safety and stigma over face masks, Nikkei Asian Review.
- Rachael Ramirez (2020, March 14). How a Chinese immigrant neighborhood is struggling amid coronavirus-related xenophobia, Vox News
- Pamela Wu (2020, March 13). Importance of social distancing, and how to manage anxiety video series with medical practitioners, UC Davis Health.
- Tom Benner (2020, March 11). Going viral: Asia takes on the coronavirus with songs, dances, Al Jazeera
- Shoko Oda (2020 February 28) To Stop Virus’s Spread, Japan Must End Its Fixation With Being at the Office, Bloomberg
- Gerry Shih and Lena H. Sun (2020, January 8). Specter of possible new virus emerging from central China raises alarms across Asia, Washington Post
ASIAN AMERICAN COMMUNITY RESOURCES
- (2020, April 30) Asian Americans in the Time of Covid-19. Center for Asian American Media & PBS WETA
- AA (Asian American) and NHPI (Native Hawaiian Pacific Islander) In-language Community Resources for Coronavirus (COVID-19), Asian & Pacific Islander American Health Forum (APIAHF).
- Reporting xenophobia, hate crimes, and hate incidents, Asian Americans Advancing Justice