The Asian American Journalists Association is proud to announce the winners of our 2023 Community Awards, which honor members and organizations championing the spirit of community through their leadership, mentoring, civic engagement, and impact.
The Community Awards winners were honored at the #AAJA23 Convention’s closing gala, alongside our Journalism Excellence Award winners, who produced exceptional work across just about every medium. The AAJA community also heard from Min Jin Lee, renowned author of Pachinko and Free Food for Millionaires and the first-ever recipient of the AAJA Visibility Award, at the gala. Visit our awards website to learn more about individual award recipients and their work.
Our 2023 Community Awards recipients
- Member of the Year: Jin Ding
- Chapter of the Year: AAJA Los Angeles
- Chapter Leadership of the Year: AAJA Philadelphia
- Affinity Group of the Year: Sports Task Force
- Affinity Group Leadership of the Year: Yung AAJA
- Mentor of the Year: Corinne Chin
- Changemaker of the Year: Naomi Ishisaka
- Lifetime Achievement Award: Henry Fuhrmann
- Emerging Journalist of the Year: Sophia Cai
- Emerging Journalist of the Year: Celina Tebor
Civic Engagement & Leadership Awards:
- AAPI Community Impact Award to a Local Newsroom: Sahan Journal
- Suzanne Ahn Civic Engagement & Social Justice Award: Assunta Ng
- AAPI Community Impact Award: The Very Asian Foundation
- Leadership In Diversity & Solidarity: W. Kamau Bell and the “United Shades of America” team
- AAJA Visibility Award: Min Jin Lee
- President’s Award: Amna Nawaz
We’d like to thank the judges, board members and staff who worked tirelessly to make the Community Awards a reality.
About AAJA Awards:
The Asian American Journalists Association has honored excellence in journalism since 1987. The AAJA Journalism Excellence Awards are bestowed to members for thoughtful reporting, thorough coverage and strong storytelling. AAJA also honors members and organizations who champion the spirit of community through their chapter and affinity group leadership; their diversity, equity, and inclusion work; and through their life’s work with AAJA Community Awards. To learn more about awards, visit our awards website.