The Asian American Journalists Association (AAJA) is now accepting submissions and nominations for our 2024 Awards! Our Journalism Excellence Awards honor the best journalism by AAJA members in 2023, while our Community Awards aim to celebrate the outstanding contributions of AAJA members, chapters, affinity groups and changemakers who have left a lasting impact on our community over the past year.
Awards will be presented during our convention in Austin, Texas, scheduled for August 7-11, 2024. For detailed lists of categories and category descriptions, visit awards.aaja.org.
In order to submit work for Journalism Excellence Awards or nominate candidates for Community Awards, you must be an active AAJA member.
AAJA Journalism Excellence Awards
The Asian American Journalists Association has honored excellence in journalism since 1987. The AAJA Awards are bestowed to members for thoughtful reporting, thorough coverage and strong storytelling. The awards highlight the exceptional contributions of AAJA members to American journalism, demonstrate accurate reporting on the Asian American and Pacific Islander community, and celebrate stories that would have gone untold without the cultural competence that AAJA journalists bring to the profession. Read about the 2023 award winners.
Journalism Excellence Awards honor excellence in journalism in the following categories:
Journalism Excellence By Medium
- Excellence in Written Reporting, News
- Excellence in Written Reporting, Features
- Student Excellence in Written Reporting
- Excellence in Photojournalism, Single Photo
- Excellence in Photojournalism, Photo Story
- Student Excellence in Photojournalism, Single or Photo Story
- Excellence in Video Storytelling, Short-Form and Social
- Excellence in Video Storytelling, Long-Form & Programs
- Student Excellence in Video Storytelling
- Excellence in Audio Storytelling, News Feature
- Excellence in Audio Storytelling, Long-form
- Student Excellence in Audio Storytelling
- Excellence in Online/Digital Journalism, Engagement
- Excellence in Online/Digital Journalism, Data
- Excellence in Online/Digital Journalism, Immersive Storytelling
- Student Excellence in Online/Digital Journalism
Journalism Excellence By Subject
- Excellence in Investigative Reporting
- Excellence in Sports Reporting
- Excellence in Science/Environment/Health Reporting
- Excellence in Arts and Culture/Entertainment Reporting
- Excellence in Political Reporting
- Excellence in International Reporting
- Excellence in Pacific Islander Reporting
- Excellence in Business/Consumer/Tech Reporting
- Excellence in Commentary/Op-Ed/Perspective
Apply for AAJA Journalism Excellence Awards here. You may apply for multiple awards, or nominate someone else’s work. Questions? Visit our awards FAQ or reach out to email@example.com for further assistance.
Winners will be announced in May, AAPI Heritage Month. AAJA will recognize all its award recipients at our annual convention in Austin, TX.
AAJA Community Awards
The Asian American Journalists Association honors AAJA members, chapters, and affinity groups that have gone above and beyond in their service to fellow members or in their impact on the organizations where they work. The AAJA Community Awards also celebrate individuals and organizations who have elevated the AAPI community through their leadership in journalism, the arts, or civic engagement, contributing to a more diverse, equitable and inclusive society where all have the opportunity to thrive. Meet the 2023 award winners here.
We are seeking Community Award nominations in these categories:
- Member of the Year
- Chapter of the Year
- Chapter Leadership of the Year
- Affinity Group of the Year
- Affinity Group Leadership of the Year
- Mentor of the Year
- Changemaker of the Year
- Emerging Journalist of the Year
- Executive Leadership Program Award
- Lifetime Achievement Award
Civic Engagement and Leadership Awards
- Community Impact Award to a Local Newsroom
- AAPI Community Impact Award
- Leadership in Diversity and Solidarity
- Suzanne Ahn Civic Engagement & Social Justice Award
- AAJA Visibility Award
Please submit nominations for the AAJA Community Awards here. You may submit multiple nominees, or nominate yourself. We only accept nominations through the official nomination page. Questions? Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org for further assistance.
Our board of directors and awards committee leadership will conduct a thorough review to select the final awardees. Winners will be announced in May, AAPI Heritage Month. AAJA will recognize all its award recipients at our annual convention in Austin, TX.
About AAJA Awards:
The Asian American Journalists Association has honored excellence in journalism since 1987. The AAJA Journalism Excellence Awards are bestowed to members for thoughtful reporting, thorough coverage and strong storytelling. AAJA also honors members and organizations who champion the spirit of community through their chapter and affinity group leadership; their diversity, equity, and inclusion work; and through their life’s work. To learn more about awards, visit our awards website.
Submit your work produced last year by FEBRUARY 28 The Asian American Journalists Association’s 2023 Journalism Excellence Awards are open for submissions. These awards will honor the best of journalism pieces