Getty Images and the Asian American Journalists Association are pleased to announce a new collaboration to award $10,000 to a university student focused on visual journalism. The Getty Images Inclusion Scholarship reinforces our organizations’ commitment to promoting diversity and inclusion within the editorial photography industry and journalism more broadly.
The Getty Images Inclusion Scholarship is open to undergraduate and graduate students attending accredited colleges and universities in the United States. The recipient will also be invited to attend the 2020 AAJA National Convention. Applicants are not required to be AAJA members, but the scholarship recipient must sign up for a student membership.
Candidates will be judged on the strength of their photographic portfolios, academic performance and a demonstrated commitment to the field of visual journalism. The deadline to apply is Friday, May 15 at 11:59pm PT. Please review the following application requirements and the more detail terms and conditions within the application form.
What scholarship applicants need to submit:
- Resume One-page resume listing your educational background, work history, awards, journalism-related internships, other scholarships, language proficiency and any work done for your school or community newspaper, website or TV station.
- Letters of Recommendation Two references from people who are familiar with your academic and/or journalism work. (Examples: professors, counselors, employers, faculty advisers, etc.). Letters from relatives will not be accepted.
- Unofficial School Transcript If you have attended more than one school, a transcript is required from each institution unless grades from the previous school(s) appear on the present transcript.
- Proof of enrollment A copy of your current course schedule, or your upcoming course schedule if enrolled in a program beginning next term.
- Essay 300 words or less that explain your commitment to journalism and photography. All written parts of the submission must be submitted in English.
- Work Samples A portfolio of 15 – 20 still images, plus up to five option video clips.
Please note that applicants may not apply for more than one Getty Images Inclusion Scholarship (i.e., a similar scholarship offered with the NABJ, NAHJ or other organization).
DEADLINE TO APPLY: MAY 15, 2020
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.